Sunday, January 30, 2011

Art From the Heart


Mayan and Aztec culture fascinates me. Their complexity and organization juxtaposed by their naturalism is something I will was more apparent in Western culture. When the Spaniards came to Mexico, they wrote that the Aztec capitol was as glorious a site as any city in Europe. I believe it. Ancient Mexican societies used a number of different types of art medias. Sculpture was a significant aspect of both cultures. What most impresses me (which is a stretch because all of the stuff I have looked at is just breathtaking...in my opinion) is the use of color, repetition, and ceremony in their works. Creating convolved, chaotic, and rhythmic scenes seems the specialty of these cultures. I wish I could post a series of Mayan and Azetc works...(maybe I will....... ) The last thing I want to say: these cultures did not fear death, and I find that to be extremely noble. This is a work from the Mayan culture - it has to do with declarations of kingship, sacrifice, ritual, and the Gods. Very complicated. Do you see anything today that might remind you of this? In art or culture?

No comments:

Post a Comment